Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fall Decorating Around the House...

Autumn is my favorite time of year for the cool crisp air, the warm colors, snuggly sweaters and yummy comfort food. Even though I love this time of year, I don't decorate any where near what I do for Christmas…just little touches here and there through out the house.

I use the same decorations that I've had for years, but I do use them in different ways to make them feel new. I might add one or two new pieces from end of season sales or Dollar store finds.

So let's get started…I'll share where I purchased things along the way too!

This is our kitchen table...the kitchen is on the right. This room was a living room 15 years ago, but now it's our eat in kitchen. That's why there's a fireplace in the room.

fall decorating

Perfect to decorate for all the holidays.

fall decorating

The wreath is from Pier 1 and the sign is from Marshall's or Home Goods. I've had the lamps for years. They are from Target and are touch lamps.

fall decorating

On the hearth, I have a big plastic cauldron I bought at Walmart years ago. I used it to serve punch when the kids had Halloween parties and I also use it to hold the candy for Trick or Treaters. Now it holds wood for the fire place.

The little black lanterns are from Ikea for only $4.00.

Off to the side, I nestled a pumpkin in a leaf garland also from Pier 1.

fall decorating

I found these cute clip on glitter bats at Walmart last week. They are only 97 cents and they give a little touch of a spooky Halloween to the wood pile.

fall decorating

The curly stand for the cauldron is an old candle holder.  It gives some height to the pot.

fall decorating

All the Halloween things in this picture are from Walmart $1-$4.00, but I made them special by adding some silver touches. Most all are thrift store finds, except the tall cloche on the right. That's from TJ Maxx.

The cloche is a great investment. I received it as gift, but they run about $30.00. You can change what's inside for every season. I just took out my seashell collection I had in there for the summer.

fall decorating

Even the kitchen gets it's pumpkin on.

This year I piled up all the glitter pumpkins I bought at Walmart on a cake stand and added a scary black crow on top!

fall decorating_416

For the coffee bar, I added some berries to a small plastic cauldron that was part of Kelsie's witch costume when she was little.

I bought that little sign at Target recently…

"Given enough coffee,  I could rule the world!!"

So true, lol  Maybe not the whole world, but at least my part of the world!!

fall decorating


If you don't like the typical black and orange for Halloween or Fall decor, how about white and sage green.

I found the "Keep Calm and Scare On" sign at The Dollar Store! and the white ghosts and pumpkin were cheap too.

fall decorating

I wanted a fall arrangement for this enamel milk pitcher I bought at Ikea, but I wanted it to look like I just cut it all from the yard. A more natural wild flower look.

fall decorating

I bought 3 different kinds of sprigs at Michael's craft store…leafy branches, berries and pussy willows. Different textures is what you want.

fall decorating

The sprig on the left is how it comes from the store. All crushed and squeezed together. You need to spread them out to make it look more natural like the one on the right.

fall decorating

Try to flare them out in a triangle direction. Not all on one side.

fall decorating

Like the arrows are showing below.

fall decorating

Trim the ends to fit your vessel. You don't want then too high in the vase.

fall decorating

or bend them so you can use them in different sized vases over time.

fall decorating

For a filler, I cut the leafy grass from the iris garden and let it dry out

fall decorating

Start with the fuller branches then build in from there, ending with the sprigs of grass.

Perfect to last through to Thanksgiving!

fall decorating

When Halloween is over, I just have to remove a few bats and ghosts and the rest will last through til the end of November. Then Christmas will bust out all over the house!


Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Thanks for stopping by,
~Karen~

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. It all looks very nice, warm and inviting. I especially like the pitcher with bittersweet. Thanks for the tip and photos on how to arrange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful Karen....I did a little decorating before we left on vacation so when we get home mid-week it will look like fall when I get there. But I'm going to use a couple of your ideas as well! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so nice, Karen! I add very few new things each year, but I love the challenge of reusing the things from past years in new and creative ways. You are right.....it does make old things look new and fresh. I've been crushing on those cute IKEA pitchers for some time now, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a true knack for decorating. Everything looks so nice. From what I can see, the light fixture over your table looks exactly like mine in my dining room. I enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! Fall is my favorite time of year also.I have all my fall/halloween quilts on display along with my inside scarecrow family.Always looking for ways to repurpose to create new decorating projects

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those bats. I will have to go check out my Walmart tomorrow! It looks lovely! I love the halloween season for decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen you do such an AMAZING job decorating your home throughout the seasons. I enjoy looking at your style and getting ideas. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful decorations and i like how you did the floral arrangement.
    I need to get up to the stores with my coupons.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good bargain.
    Your Autumn decorations are lovely and just the right price ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is beautiful, I would love to have an eat in kitchen with a fireplace! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the decorations! I don't decorate much since the kids are grown. Maybe I should take a page from your book and make myself happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails